Why My Backyard Fence?

When I was a child, neighbors would visit with one another over their backyard fences. There would be a fence on either side and one in the back. These fences were not barriers to keep others out, but rather a means to define one's property. Sharing with a neighbor a smile or perhaps a story, or even a piece of pie was not uncommon. I love people and hope to bring joy and encouragement to my Friends and Neighbors over "MyBackyardFence." And, yes, I now live in the Oregon Outback. Beautiful place.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Amber Alerts

Every time I hear or see an Amber Alert, my heart is tugged with compassion. I instantly go to prayer. My prayer is not that the Lord will find the child but that the Lord will cause the child to be found. I am often reminded that Psalm 121:4 tells us that "...he who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep."In other words, he doesn't miss a thing. The God who knows how many hairs we have on our head; clothes the lillies of the field; knows when a sparrow falls from the sky, knows the location and situation of every person on this globe at any given moment. Unimaginable isn't it, except by the Spirit? Although the pain of separation and the unknown can be overwhelming at times, we can take comfort in knowing that our God is still on the Throne of the Universe. We don't need to be stymied by the things that would attempt to throw us off course. A wise funeral director once told me during the course of dealing with a death, to watch out at intersections when driving during that season because it was easy to become distracted in our minds and not see a stop sign or another vehicle approaching. In the same way, we can become distracted and not see the danger coming during difficult times. By His Grace, we can "be self-controlled and alert..." and steadfastly trust. I Peter 5:8&9.

No comments:

Post a Comment