Why My Backyard Fence?

When I was a child, neighbors would visit with one another over their backyard fences. There would be a fence on either side and one in the back. These fences were not barriers to keep others out, but rather a means to define one's property. Sharing with a neighbor a smile or perhaps a story, or even a piece of pie was not uncommon. I love people and hope to bring joy and encouragement to my Friends and Neighbors over "MyBackyardFence." And, yes, I now live in the Oregon Outback. Beautiful place.

Friday, January 8, 2021

Mind Set

 I was listening to an interview this morning as a news commentator was speaking with a doctor regarding the health of the people of our nation. His greatest concern was not the "virus" but the depression, fear and suicide that is running rampant. The statement he made that really struck me was something to this effect, "fear and anxiety reside in a portion of our psyche that is without God." Wow! Hmmm. That got me to thinking that we can have God in our lives, however, we may not be allowing his Lordship in every area. Philippians 4:6 says, "do not be anxious about anything..." Sometimes that is easier said than done. This is not the first time I have written on this subject, but today I have some added thoughts. That is because his Word is active and alive and new every day! 

To continue in the Philippians 4 chapter, we are instructed to pray with thanksgiving, as we are "not worrying" and the peace of God will guard our hearts and minds through Jesus. 

Easier said than done you agree? Well, after I listened to this doctor, it caused me to realize that we need to surrender to the Lordship of Jesus with our entire being. We may confess with our mouth that we believe he is Lord, but not allow him to infiltrate our minds with his Truth.

When we truly trust Him with every fiber of our being, giving our every thought, desire, need and concern to him, thanking him and praising him for who he is, his character, his being, his sovereignty, faith will grow within us. His Word will make it's home in us. "And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.", verse 7 of  Chapter 4, Philippians.

This is a process. We ladies at our church have a bible study, as some of you men do as well at your churches. We have a time that is called an "ice breaker". I used to lack appreciation for these pre-ambles because they weren't "spiritual" enough. (Sometimes you can be too spiritual for your own earthly good so to speak.) As I grew into the realization that we are all human and need those times of communication regarding our everyday lives, I also grew to appreciate them. During those times we might talk about the things that are important to us, things we enjoy, family stories, dreams, desires, etc. We are getting to know one another and getting to trust one another more and more because we see that we can relate on many points. We begin to understand one another more and begin to love one another as the Bible tells us. 

Trusting Jesus and inviting His presence into every facet of our lives, hearts, minds comes from getting to know him through his Word and his Holy Spirit... believing what he says. I am one that takes things at face value with other Believers. If they tell me something, perhaps expressing their affection or appreciation, I believe them. If they give me a gift, I believe it is from their heart and genuine. So, why not believe the one who embodies truth, power, might, strength, justice, righteousness, love, empathy, sympathy and more than that, the ONE who can meet your every need! The very ONE who created, yes, created, out of nothing, all you see. All of Creation are His! You are His! Bought with a Price... the Blood of Christ! (He proved His Love on the Cross at Calvary once and for all.)

He wants you to walk out of fear and anxiety. The guarding of your heart is as a military garrison around it, verse 7. By applying the many principles of his Word to your life through personal relationship with him, spending time with him through prayer, praise and worship, you are allowing that spiritual army of peace so to speak, to stand at it's post. 

Get to know him better and better this year. Let your two-way communication be the ice breaker you need to realize that he loves you more than his own life and cries out to be all that you need in these days so full of turmoil. Though the days be full of turmoil, our inner being needn't be.

Love the Lord your God. Love one another deeply. Pray for one another. Encourage one another. Know that God loves you and is not idle. Know that He has a Plan and will fulfill it. Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven! Blessings to you all! Be strong in the Power of His Might, Grace and Peace!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Pastor Barbara. I am also a Pastor and an Ordained Minister of Church of the Nazarene. I am from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you as an Ordained Minister of Godpel of Jesus Christ. I am blessed to go thourgh your blog post which is so encouraging , enriching and strengthening. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 41yrs in this great city of MUMBAI a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. we reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokeneharted. WE also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. we would love to have you come to Mumbai to encourage the body of Christ through your ministry of the Word. I am sure it will be very rewarding for us as well as you too. We would love to have young people from your church to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you your family and the ministry. Also wishing you and your family and blessed and a Christ centered new year 2021. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barbara. I am a Pastor from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blog and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you as the Minister of the Word of God as well as speaker, musician and vocalist having passion to pray for the needs of others. Glad to know that your husband is also a Minister. I am blessed by your post on Mind Set which is so encouraging. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 41yrs in this great city a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We rach out to hte poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai towork with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to encourage the body of Christ with the ministry of the Word by both of you as well as equipping the body of Christ to enlarge the Kingdom of God. I am sure it will be a very rewarding time for you both as well as strengthening time for the church. Looking forward to hear from you very soon, God's richest blessings on you both and the ministry. Also wishing you and your husband a blessed and a Christ centered New year 2021. My name is Diwakar Wankhede and my email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete