Why My Backyard Fence?

When I was a child, neighbors would visit with one another over their backyard fences. There would be a fence on either side and one in the back. These fences were not barriers to keep others out, but rather a means to define one's property. Sharing with a neighbor a smile or perhaps a story, or even a piece of pie was not uncommon. I love people and hope to bring joy and encouragement to my Friends and Neighbors over "MyBackyardFence." And, yes, I now live in the Oregon Outback. Beautiful place.

Sunday, October 7, 2018

WHAT DO WE VALUE MOST?


I have read many books in my lifetime. However, my favorites are Autobiographies or Biographies. My husband told me the other day that I am a people lover. I suppose that is true due to the fact that I have my Father's genes. My Father, referring to my Heavenly Father. He is the one who instills love in our hearts for Him as well as His most treasured creation, People. People, because we are the ones who are made in His Image. "Male and Female created He them." Genesis 1:27 and 5:2. We can all be people lovers if we allow His Commandments, to love Him with all our hearts and our neighbors the same, to take root and grow within us. There are many things in this life we value. We take care of the Earth because we value it. We value wealth. We value our homes, our lands, our vehicles, our livestock, our pets (perhaps not in this order). These are all things that serve us. Some of our most valued treasures are  photographs of family members and friends. Why? Because we value those depicted in those photos. In a disaster, most of us would labor desperately to salvage as many as we were able. I have always valued my Bible because I love the Word of God and the Promises that are mine. As I have walked with the Lord through the years I have attempted to do as King David and "hide his words in my heart" by memorizing and meditating on them and speaking them and of them. If I were unable to grab my physical Bible, God's Words would still be with me. Pictures on the other hand would be difficult to re-create. These days, our cell phones, tablets and computers are the keepers of our beloved photos so they would be the first to accompany us in times of emergency. I must say that a few years ago when the flames were licking the outside of the fifth wheel in which I was living, I failed to think of anything else to grab except my little long-haired Chihuahua, Rusty and the hand of my Husband, now in Heaven, to help him down the steps to safety. I was his caregiver at the time. I prayed desperately that the Lord would save my home and he graciously did. For reasons only He knows, that is not always the case. The Bible tells us to "serve one another". In the end, people are most valued. In the World's thinking, which is upside down, the things that serve us, possessions and the like, are the things we seem to value most. In God's thinking, which is RIGHT side up, we are to serve people without expectation of being served in return. We would be nowhere without "one another". I think of the true story in Exodus Chapter 17 when Moses held up his staff to enable the Israelite Army to defeat the Amalekites. When Moses would become weak in this task, his companions, Aaron and Hur would hold his arms up. If his arms dropped, the opposing side would begin to take advantage. I see all of us at times in need of strength from another to continue to walk in Victory. We are not on this earth for "things" but for people. We never know when an act of kindness or a word of encouragement or coming alongside to pray can be the pivotal point needed in someone's life. We were not meant to walk this walk alone. In Christ we are called to be "one" even as God the Father and Jesus the Son are "one". John chapter 17. Another great verse is: "Bear ye one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2. I am a people lover! I love my Brothers and Sisters in Christ and I love those who have yet to come into a saving knowledge of Christ. The Book of Jude tells us to build ourselves up in our most holy Faith and after that to "Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear-- hating  even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh." Sin is ugly; it is dirty; it is shameful; it stinks; it is repulsive! However the Bible says, "For ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23. "If we say we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar and His word is not in us." I John 1:10. One way we can hold up the arms of the weak is to encourage them with these words that Jesus Christ, as Lord and Savior, can forgive their sins and cleanse them on their initial receiving of Him and in those times they may fall down during their journey toward Heaven! I John 1:9 was written to Believers: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." To those who are just beginning their walk and to those who have been walking for many years, I encourage you to reach out and hold up the arms of another and allow them in turn to hold up your arms. As we do this, we will see the enemy of us all, the devil and his tactics fall and fail before us. We are not alone! Encourage one another, pray for one another. Value one another above the earth and it's possessions! It and they will fade away, but the one who overcomes will receive the Crown of Life... Now that IS a possession worth reaching for!

No comments:

Post a Comment