Why My Backyard Fence?

When I was a child, neighbors would visit with one another over their backyard fences. There would be a fence on either side and one in the back. These fences were not barriers to keep others out, but rather a means to define one's property. Sharing with a neighbor a smile or perhaps a story, or even a piece of pie was not uncommon. I love people and hope to bring joy and encouragement to my Friends and Neighbors over "MyBackyardFence." And, yes, I now live in the Oregon Outback. Beautiful place.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"I'm Sorry"

Have you ever thought about how many times you hear or say, "I'm sorry"? I work retail and every day I hear people, mostly women, say "I'm sorry". They may be removing their items from their cart or writing a check and in their opinion, not moving fast enough or whatever. Men apologize for not taking their wallet out of their pocket fast enough. They may not use the exact words "I'm sorry", however, you can tell by their body language that they are feeling pressured to move faster. People apologize for coughing, sneezing, handing something to someone "the wrong way", using a cane... You can add your own here. It all boils down to the fact that we seem to be forced to feel like we are inconveniencing those around us. If you look up the word "sorry" it really doesn't fit in those situations. I spend a lot of time telling my customers they don't need to be sorry. Are we actually apologizing for being part of the human race? Are we apologizing for living? Where does the need to say "I'm sorry" or have an apologetic attitude all the time come from? Psalm 103:14 says that the Lord remembers we are "dust". We are ALL dust... from the least to the greatest. From the poorest to the richest among us. No one is better than the other and we all "...have been given the right to become sons of God, to those who believe on His name." John 1:12. So, I think we should stop "apologizing for living" and just "live".

No comments:

Post a Comment